MacOS Big Sur / M1 chip

julien

08 Feb, 2021 03:56 PM

Hi
I have tried to use PrinterSwitch 3.0.9.0 with FMP 17 on a Mac OS Big Sur with the new M1 chip but the plugin seems to make FM17 to crash.
I have seen a previous post (Dec 2019) mentioning compatibility issues with Mac OS 10.15.
Is there a newer version of the plugin that could solve this problem?
Are you still working on a fix ?

Thanks.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Support on 09 Feb, 2021 08:48 AM

Hi Julien,

Thank you for contacting us.

Thank you for contacting us.
    Our database shows you bought PrinterSwitch 2 for Mac about 7-8 years ago. The current version of PrinterSwitch is version 3, so you’re using a dated version of PrinterSwitch.
    So you could purchase an upgrade to PrinterSwitch 3, but I’m not sure if that will be a solution for you.
    FileMaker Pro 18 and FileMaker Pro 19 don’t support PrinterSwitch anymore on the recent MacOS because of the follow reason:

New security measurements on MacOS and FileMaker Pro, prevents PrinterSwitch to access and change the memory.
    Without Claris changing the way FileMaker Pro is signed, we are unable to solve this. ( If you codesign FileMaker Pro or a runtime it works). We checked with Claris if they could relax the security to allow plug-ins to have access to the memory. But so far it is a no-go.

The only way to solve the issue is to redesign and rewrite the plug-in from scratch. But doing so, would not make the plug-in backward compatible. Which means our customers would have to re-write the implementation. We explored this option but decided to not take that route.
    Instead we recommend you to switch to the MBS plug-in. We know the plug-in builder has an excellent track record to give support to his customers.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this.

Kind regards,
    Jasper

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac