Printerswitch causes Filemaker on Windows 10 to crash

Jason Tallman

28 Dec, 2016 02:36 PM

When we issue the PrSw_PrintSetup("restore|" ) command Filemaker Pro 15v2 64bit is crashing.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Support on 28 Dec, 2016 02:42 PM

Hi Jason,

Thank you for contacting us.

This usually happens when you try to restore a setup that was captured on a different computer.

Please try our capture/restore sample file as a test. Do a capture in the demo file and then make a print with that setup.Does that work?

If it works, then make a new setup for that computer will probably fix it.

Kind regards,
    Jasper

2. 2 Posted by Jason Tallman on 28 Dec, 2016 05:22 PM

I tried that and I'm still getting the crash.

3. 3 Posted by Jason Tallman on 29 Dec, 2016 05:14 PM

When assigning a samsung printer it doesn't crash. But if I switch to a brother HL-2240 then it starts crashing.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Support on 30 Dec, 2016 08:25 AM

Hi Jason,

Was this with the example file?

And did it work in FileMaker Pro 15v01?

Kind regards,
    Jasper

5. 5 Posted by JF Lefebvre on 10 Feb, 2020 07:53 PM

Hi Jasper,
    I realize this is an old post but we are having the same problem with our Lexmark printer under Windows 10. We had no problem with windows 8.1.
    The restore function (even when using the example file) causes Filemaker to close without prompt.
    The only difference is windows 10
    Do you have any idea why this is ?
    Thanks
    J-F

6. 6 Posted by duncan hsu on 12 Feb, 2020 05:29 PM

See my post at:
    http://support.myfmbutler.com/discussions/printerswitch/963-uncertainty-some-time-worked-and-some-time-not
    -- I will soon update that with my newest findings (may not be very useful but just facts).

Yes, usually the cause of the PrSw_PrintSetup("restore|" ) is due to the wrong captured values. So the real question how do we know if the captured value is correct. With my experience so far, most time the sample code give you the right value, which can be different from your/my captured value - I don't know why and that is what my post is after. Yes, "most of the time", I just need copy the captured value from the sample code into my application and it worked.

We are running FM v18 on both Windows 7 and 10 at this point.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Support on 13 Feb, 2020 10:11 AM

@JF: What Ducan says it true. If you send an invalid value to the printer driver, FileMaker crashes. The restore string is for a specific printer, driver, OS combination. So as soon as something changes to the OS and/or printer driver and you have problems, you need to store a new setup.
    Also it's best to capture an individual setup for each different computer.

So when you tested after the OS update, did you create a new setup in the sample file?

Kind regards,
    Jasper

8. 8 Posted by JEAN-FRANCOIS L... on 13 Feb, 2020 02:14 PM

Hi Jasper,
    Yes, I was aware that we needed to capture in the new OS before sending the value with restore.
    We did so with our method and it did not work.
    We also tried it with the example file (a capture and a restore) and it stil makes Filemaker crash without any prompt. It just closes.
    Thanks again for your time !
    J-F

9. 9 Posted by Jason Tallman on 13 Feb, 2020 03:11 PM

What we have noticed is if windows installed the print drivers automatically it will almost always crash. Once we manually install print drivers we are able to function normally.

10. 10 Posted by JEAN-FRANCOIS L... on 13 Feb, 2020 04:41 PM

Hi Jason,
    It worked !
    We installed the printer manually and we can print normally without any crash.
    Thanks a lot !
    J-F

11. 11 Posted by Jason Tallman on 13 Feb, 2020 05:12 PM

Glad we could help. I would love to know from MyFMButler why we have to do this workaround though.

12. Support Staff 12 Posted by Support on 14 Feb, 2020 10:34 AM

I'm glad to hear that this resolved the issue!
    Yes, in some cases Windows 10 decides to overwrite the manually installed manufactures driver with a driver from its own database. This usually happens during a Windows update or an update check.

We recommend to use the driver of manufacture and not the one that is auto installed by Windows 10.

Kind regards,
    Jasper

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• crash.png 1.99 MB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac