Help on a number of fronts with PS 3

order

29 Jan, 2016 08:32 AM

Ok. I have been waiting for the new printerswitch. The documention is pretty scant.

1. I had printerswitch 2 previously. Those scripts which I used - e.g.
start
start my layout
rebuild printer list

- are they relevant anymore? Should I just delete them? Are they replaced by any new scripts?

2. When I try the demo examples (eg PrSw PDF Example)
It returns 'disabled demo MyFmbutler printerswitch extension'
even though I have installed the new extension, and can see it in the correct Applicationsupport/Filemaker/Extensions folder

I had to install it manually - dragging it into there, because everytime I use the installer in the Diskimage, it just crashes Filemaker (I have quite filmaker before I open the installer).

3. What I am aiming for is to be able to create pdf files in Runtime solutions. When I get that far, I want to be able to create pds for the desktop, and also to directly email. Is that possible? Or can only save them to desktop, then email has to be a separate action?

It will be for both PC and Mac. It will be for clients, so I dont know exactly what filepath to put, as I dont know their computer. What exactly is the generic file path - either for desktop, or maybe for the same folder as the Runtime solution.

Steve

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by koen on 29 Jan, 2016 09:46 AM

Dear Steve,

Thank you for your interest in PrinterSwitch 3.

1 - are they relevant anymore? Should I just delete them? Are they replaced by any new scripts?

PrinterSwitch 3 is backward compatible with PrinterSwitch 2. SO you can still use your existing scripts.

1. When I try the demo examples (eg PrSw PDF Example) It returns 'disabled demo MyFmbutler printerswitch extension'
      even though I have installed the new extension, and can see it in the correct Applicationsupport/Filemaker/Extensions folder

Have you copied the example files outside the DMG?
    Can you check if there are older PrinterSwitch plug-ins available in the folders
    ~/Library/Application Support/Filemaker/FileMaker Pro/12.0/Extensions ~/Library/Application Support/Filemaker/FileMaker Pro Advanced/12.0/Extensions ~/Library/Application Support/Filemaker/FileMaker Pro/13.0/Extensions ~/Library/Application Support/Filemaker/FileMaker Pro Advanced/13.0/Extensions ~/Library/Application Support/Filemaker/FileMaker Pro/14.0/Extensions ~/Library/Application Support/Filemaker/FileMaker Pro Advanced/14.0/Extensions Or in the extensions folder of the app.

1. What I am aiming for is to be able to create pdf files in Runtime solutions. When I get that far, I want to be able to create pds for the desktop, and also to directly email. Is that possible? Or can only save them to desktop, then email has to be a separate action?

The plug-in is only able to save it to a certain folder, such as the desktop, with the Send Mail script step from FileMaker, you can use the path to send the mail.
    To get a generic path you can use the Get(DesktopPath), Get(DocumentsPath) or better Get(TemporaryPath) functions from FileMaker. More info can be found in the FileMaker help.

I hope this helps to solve your problem.

Best regards,

Koen

2. 2 Posted by order on 29 Jan, 2016 05:57 PM

Also, can I ask you this - completely stuck on it, cant work out what is going wrong:

Startup script is this:

As I say, I dont know if I actually need the printerswitch choice at the start. But anyway, the script Client table:

It goes to the correct layout, but tacked on the end of the startup script, thats all it does. It does not do anything other than show all records. I have tried lots of things…I have to manually choose that script after the file is open, in order for it to do the proper find and sort..

Steve

3. 3 Posted by order on 29 Jan, 2016 06:06 PM

Also…in the runtime solution, do I manually need to put the Printerswitch Extension, into the Runtime extension folder?

Steve

4. 4 Posted by order on 29 Jan, 2016 06:29 PM

Thanks

1. Re the old scripts - do I still need them? Do I need the Rebuild Printerlist script to always start up?

2. Yes, checked the Library folder, no old extensions there.

3. Yes, copied the example files - they show this:

I have no idea what to do about that.

Steve

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Support on 05 Feb, 2016 04:07 PM

Hi Steve,

Yes, in a runtime you need to put the plugin in the extensions folder after creating it.

1. It's depends on what you want to achieve. The rebuild script is just to get a list of printers. If you hardcode the printername for example, then you don't need it.

2. I'm quite sure the plugin loads since you get the demo time out error.

3. This is because the plugin is not registered. Please go to you prefernces in FileMaker, select plugins and configure PrinterSwitch. Then you'll be able to fill in the license information and register it.
      Then you should get a list of printers. If you want to use the demo mode. You can do that if you restart FileMaker every hour (and max 30 days).

Kind regards,
    Jasper

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac