Inspector fields list re-order fields and that's terrible

Vincent Lugnier

30 Jan, 2016 04:31 PM

Hi,

The inspector field list (I mean alls the fields listed in the bottom part, when you expand fields) is re-ordered (by field name apparently).
 It's not in the order of their appearance in the XML, and I think thats' a terrible feature.

Order is information, you should not destroy it.
Especially since the user can re-order himself with the column header name.
That's "terrible" because whenever you use that feature to analyze the order of imports and exports fors instance, you're out of luck. It's even dangerous because if you don't realize it's been re-ordred (and sometimes the difference can be subtle) you can mess up your data.

Let's say you export to a file that will go in another system. You want to make sure the fields and order are correct, bu since it re-ordered ou can't and potentially you could be led in error.

Here's screenshot and xml

Thanks

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by koen on 01 Feb, 2016 08:58 PM

Hi Vincent,

Thank you for your feedback.

The inspector will never do changes in the original clip. It is designed to show a kind of inventory of what is inside the clip.

Since a script step clip can have multiple script steps, it can happen that a field is been used in several script steps. It will be shown only once in the inspector field.

We analyse fields directly used in script steps, as well as fields within calculations.

Pretend we would show it in the order of presence in the clip and the script step before your import script step was for instance Set field[Nom et Decomp::Qte ingredient; 6], the list would show:

Nom et Decomp::Qte ingredient
    Nom et Decomp::Ref absolue plat
    Nomenclatur vers bible::w Product id
    Nom et Decomp::Ref absolue ingredient
    ingrédient vers bible::w Product id
    Nom et Decomp::Type

If you would add change the first script step to Set field[Nom et Decomp::Qte ingredient; If( ingrédient vers bible::w Product id <10 ; 6 ; 10 ) ]
    The representation in the inspector window would be:

Nom et Decomp::Qte ingredient
    ingrédient vers bible::w Product id
    Nom et Decomp::Ref absolue plat
    Nomenclatur vers bible::w Product id
    Nom et Decomp::Ref absolue ingredient
    Nom et Decomp::Type

Both situations would not represent the correct sort order of the export script step.

Imagine that you have multiple export script steps, with similar fields.

We decided to order it alphabetic, and grouped by table occurrence, to make it easier for the user to scan through the list.

We are open for suggestions.

Best regards,

Koen

2. 2 Posted by Vincent on 01 Feb, 2016 10:03 PM

Hi Koen,
    thanks for you answer.

I took care to only copy one step, therefore the xml (the one attached to that thread), only contains one instance of the field. Therefore your valid general concerns don't applies here.

"We decided to order it alphabetic" and from a GUI standpoint it's great, and I would have probably done the same thing. But it does in fact destroys information, and as a tool for programmers it's not, on second though a good idea.
    Especially as reordering can be done by the user himself thanks to the very discoverable column header sorting

Therefore, I suggest that you stick to the code and show the field in the order they appear (I even think it's better even if they're several instance, knowing the first instance of a script cal can be interesting).

I would have thought about a contextual menu in the inspector to allow "sort as code", but I think nobody would discover it, or think about it. On the contrary anyone will think about column header sorting

At worst it could a be preferences, but ditch the niceness, that's code, that's for programmers

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by koen on 04 Feb, 2016 08:30 AM

Hi Vincent,

Thanks for clarifying. We will think about your problem and figure out how we can solve this in the future.

Best regards,

Koen

4. 4 Posted by Vincent on 06 Dec, 2016 11:02 AM

Any hop to see this fixed. It drives me nuts
    Just had a case where I needed the correct, native, as in the xml order

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by koen on 12 Jan, 2017 11:49 AM

Hi Vincent,

Currently there are no big updates planned for this release.

Best regards,

Koen

6. 6 Posted by Vincent Lugnier on 12 Jan, 2017 11:50 AM

Well, for the next then :-)

7. koen closed this discussion on 24 Sep, 2018 07:57 AM.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Order_changed.zip 272 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac